Friday, February 4, 2011

12 Logos to make me a better designer!!


I know this particular logo doesn't have a link to music, but I love its design. The crafty use of negative space in the 'G' really grabs my attention and adds value to the logo.


I love the ornate graphic at the top of this logo, but in my opinion the text is too industrial and blocky.
I believe a calligraphy type would of suited better.

I Love this logo! Great use of the treble clef and the colours really compliment each other. Its simple minimalistic and eye catching.

One of the most iconic music symbols to date. The MTV logo has truly stood the test of time, its simple design has been around since 1981. Although it has been every colour under the sun, it has never changed its form.

I came across this logo by pure and utter fluke,but I'm really glad I did. I love the quirkiness and simple genius of the designer. I love how it subtly adds to the musical note without taking away the overall look.


I wanted to find a logo that everyone recognised and associated with music, without the tell tale signs. the EMI logo is a great example. I love how bold and in your face the font is, surrounded by a 'Loud' shade of red but just as eye catching if in black and white.

The ministry of sound logo is beautiful, its shape and form remind me of a family crest or shield. I love how neat and tidy it is, sticking to the rule of thirds. You also get a three dimensional feel from the gate in the middle. Cracking!
The 'Fender' logo is less about graphics or colour, just a simple font based design, thus one of the many reasons why I like it so much. In my opinion a font based logo can be just as striking as a graphic based one.

In my list I wanted to include some existing Music College logos. This particular one is for the 'Goshen College Music Center'. What attracted me to this logo is the abstract graphic that hangs above the text. In my opinion it represents sheet music, but to others it could be something completely different, and that's the beauty.

From the brief I got a sense that the music department would like something traditional with an Irish feel. The logo above features the ancient celtic spirals that decorate the newgrange entrance stone. I think we could use something similar to this in our own design.





The Sennheiser logo is simple with an abstract eye catching graphic. The company use both the graphic and text separately as logos, this is something we should consider when drafting our own logo designs. 


The final design I have picked is the 'Converse' logo. Again it is a simple idea, yet the 'Star' symbol is one of the most widely known logos today. This goes to show that our own designs don't have to be complex and filled with colour to create something iconic. 

Well there you go, a quick look at the logos I hope to gain some inspiration from. hopefully I can take all this jibber jabber and put it into practice as I start to work on the first twenty drafts!! With a bit of luck, somebody out there (other than me) can gain something from this post and put it to good use.

p.s. If you make any money I CALL HALF!

Aidan Cotter

1 comment:

  1. HI...I would like to know the logo of Smartmusic is a sample logo designed by you?

    ReplyDelete